Friday, October 1, 2010

In Melbourne Tonight

Well, here I am, in Melbourne for the Australian Catholic Youth Ministry Convention, to be held at the ACU campus in Victoria Parade, not far from where I am staying in Albert Street.

One thing I love about Melbourne is the walking that I can do to get to places in and near the city centre. Brightly lit tennis courts and energetic players, people standing outside smoking because to smoke indoors will cost money for cleaning - there are blocks of serviced apartments at the bottom of Albert Street - and a sense that it is safe to be on the street at night.

Dinner with Greg and Carol at the Mezzo in Little Bourke Street: an exercise in getting lost. I always feel disoriented in Melbourne, even during the day. Everything appears to be the reverse of what it is: left is right and north is south. "Too far to walk. Catch a tram," said the nice man at Reception in the place I am staying. Like a fool I believed him. So I took 45 minutes trying to catch trams that kept eluding me and walking unfamiliar streets. Had I stuck to my game plan, which was to walk along Albert Street, then it would have taken me 15 minutes.

Great place for dining out is the Mezzo. Nicely appointed, great service and food to kill for - well, it was killed, so that we could eat it. What does a tortellinus look like when it is roaming the range? I was thankful for the time and energy it must have taken to catch the swordfish I had. Thank you, Greg and Carol, for the treat!

So now I prepare myself for the days ahead. Linked up to home, thanks to free wifi, and back to experimenting with HTML code in preparation for my onslaught on the next Year 9 RE unit: I think I should try to get some sleep, even though it's only 10 pm and I NEVER go to bed that early!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: